Saturday, May 19, 2012

Critical Post: Final Paper Free-Pre-Writing

For my final paper I'd like to discuss the theme of a sort of twisted sexuality as memorable expression in poetry.  In my comparisons, I plan to use Browning's poem "Porphyria's Lover," which is clearly an exercise in depravity, a strange sort of love expressed in murder, preserving the beloved.  I also plan to use the poem "Love on the Farm" by DH Lawrence, which expresses a bizarre perspective on love and sexuality, through descriptions of animal fear and human sexuality, mixing trepidation with temptation, and offering an interesting combination.  The essay I plan to reference is Robert Frost's "The Figure a Poem Makes,"  which talks about emotion, shock, surprise and expression being crucial elements of poetry.  Without these elements, the poems I have selected would not be complete.  The last poem I've chosen to use is Allen Ginsberg's "Please Master," which describes the twisted encounter of a sort of encounter between two men, one clearly beneath the other, at least in his own mind.  It seems to describe a violent sort of encounter, verging on BDSM, and also shows a very bizarre sexual mentality, from the speaker. I will compare the similar and dissimilar aspects.

2 comments:

  1. This can work, I think. Think about the ways the poets make these episodes memorable with their artistic choices, though.

    A salacious topic will almost always be interesting. But how do these poets make it memorable art?

    In class, brainstorm a third poem that addresses shall we say unorthodox relationships.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, My third poem was supposed to be "Please master" by Ginsberg...It's a pretty unorthodox relationship.

    Also, do we have to do citations for this paper? As most of the material is from our text book or handouts, it seems like citations wouldn't be needed.

    ReplyDelete