Thursday, April 5, 2012

I Was Young Then

I was young then, and full of naivety
And he was young too, both of us foolish in love
We were close, and closer still, whenever we could be,
And all was good and all was fair until push brought shove.

Yes, young and wild were we, not sure what love was,
And he was startled, with a slap, and I darted.
Hearts cracked and crumbled, all but dust,
And naivety meant love departed.

And there was hurt, and surely, betrayal
And he took up with some then-friend of mine
But to see him happy without me, Oh!
Was as though a stab in my spine.

He never knew my deep regret
How terribly I pined for him
But my heart would not forget
The love that dwelled therein.

Though time did pass, love did stay,
And though there was impermanent bitterness,
Time brought me back his warm embrace.
And love returned his kiss.

2 comments:

  1. Some beautiful music here, Chelle. How are we going to best scrub out what can feel like forced or cliche language? I know! We'll write a second draft! Tremendous!

    So much to build on here. Now tell it plainly, to a friend at a coffee shop (but without losing the world-weary wisdom of stanza 1 and line 10).

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous, this is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete